The department and its associated agencies advise on gambling policy and regulate gambling licensing.
- commission research and provide education about gambling harm in Victoria
- provide support to people experiencing harm due to gambling.
Legislation and regulation
The gambling policy unit in the department's Office of Liquor and Gaming is the primary government point of reference for industry, community and government on gambling matters. The unit is responsible for the provision of strategic policy advice and support to the Minister for Consumer Affairs, Gaming and Liquor Regulation.
Licensing and compliance
The Victorian Gambling and Casino Control Commission (VGCCC) (External link) – an independent statutory authority – is responsible for regulating all forms of legalised gambling in Victoria. The commission’s functions include informing and educating industry and the public about regulatory practices and requirements.
Education, research and preventing gambling harm
The Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation (VRGF) (External link) is the statutory authority that addresses the challenge of gambling harm in the Victorian community.
The foundation works with partners and communities across Victoria to:
- inform people about the risks of gambling
- assist people affected by gambling harm
- provide support to people affected by someone else’s gambling.
I want to...
- Get help for gambling (External link)
- Learn about harm from gambling (External link)
- Resources for professionals working with people affected by gambling harm (External link)
- Learn about YourPlay - Victoria's pre-commitment scheme
- Gambling rules and regulations (External link)
- How to avoid gambling harm (External link)
- Responsible Service of Gaming training
- Read about liquor and gaming policy