If you have a warrant issued against you in relation to an outstanding infringement (fine) or a civil court judgment, you can expect a visit from a sheriff’s officer.

They can call on you at your home or workplace, or make contact during targeted enforcement activities in public places such as roadblock operations.

The sheriff’s officer will outline a range of options for you to resolve your outstanding warrants.

If you do not pay the amount owing, sheriff’s officers can take the following action:

  • serve you with a seven-day notice (this is effectively a last chance warning, giving you a week to take action to settle your warrant). You cannot apply for an enforcement review or get a payment arrangement - you must pay
  • place a wheel-clamp on your car.

What to do next 

If the sheriff's officer has served you with a seven-day notice, or placed a wheel clamp on your vehicle, then you must take action within seven days.

To pay in full, or to see if you are eligible for a payment plan or enforcement review, visit Fines Victoria (External link)

What happens if you don’t take action

There are a number of sanctions sheriff’s officers can apply if you do not take action to resolve your outstanding warrants.

Visit Fines Victoria (External link) to learn more about the measures sheriff's officers can take to enforce unpaid enforcement warrants.

What happens if you go to court for an outstanding warrant

At court, the magistrate will ask you to explain why you have not paid your fines.

The magistrate can do the following:

  • send you to jail 
  • order you to undertake unpaid community work
  • order you to pay your debt by instalments
  • discharge your warrant in part or full
  • adjourn.